Bedford Town 2 Fleet Town 0

Fleet Town made their second trek of the season up to Bedford Town and this time got to play. Bedford, having just missed out on the playoffs, were expecting to finish their season on a high, Fleet though gave them an early scare from a corner after only four minutes, a scramble in the box but when they did stab the ball goalward, keeper Kyle Forster was in the right place to grab the ball on the goal line. After ten minutes, Jimmy Hartley burst into the box for the hosts and was unceremoniously pulled down, to earn a Penalty. David Moli took the responsibility to take the Penalty, he waitied and waited, then hesitated on his run up, as Liam dived one way, Moli sent the ball the other way, but too far that way and the ball flew harmlessly wide. Bedford were determined to make amends and were having most of the possession, albeit more in midfield going forward, looking dangerous, until they reached the box, strong defense from Ross Ewen and Callum Abraham-Barlow was keeping Bedford out wide, forcing them to turn back or cross from a less favourable position. Fleet were getting a few chances of their own, one of the best moves of the game came when Ryan Marklew had the ball in midfield, his pin-point pass out to Bradley Wilson running down the right, Bradley advanced and crossed to Ashley Lloyd, but his header cleared the bar. Bedford frustrated by Ross and Callum, went for a more direct approach, a long ball over the top, to drop into the space behind, saw a race between Liam Beach coming out and Andre Olukamni running through, a race Liam won, to collect the ball and clear it downfield. The last action of the half, saw an effort from James Haworth go past the post.

Bedford disappointed from their first half performance, switched to a plan B, for the second half making two changes at the break, with three minutes the two subs, Lee Roache and Bradley Woods-Garness, were in the thick of the acion, with Lee Roache firing from the edge of the box, which was deflected by Woods-Garness into the net. Bradley Woods-Garness then had two chances of his own in quick sucession but could not find the target. With 15 minutes left, Bedford attacked and a cross found Paul Benson, in space in the area, all alone, he headed the ball into the net to double the home sides advantage. Fleet then came close to finding a way back when two of our subs combined, Michael Philip-Ogbuogu running through got the ball to Jack Selby to shoot, the ball though passed over the bar. Bedford, not feeling the game was safe yet, piled on the pressure, forcing Fleet into several hurried clearances and scrambles, but they kept the home side out. Not having any luck close in Bedford tried their luck from further out, Devante Stanley et fly and it took a flying tip over from Liam Beach to keep the ball out. Into added time, Fleet had the ball at the other end, Matt Bunyan shooting wide and then in the next attack it was Matt Bunyan getting a shot away, but only straiht at keeper Forster. The game ended with a 2-0 win for Bedford Town, who are left hoping to finish 7th when the left over games are completed next week.


For most of the players, this was the end of their playing season, though Fleet’s dual registered starlets Billy Startford and Callum Abraham-Barlow may have more work to do with Aldershot Town Youth side.

Fleet Town : 1 Liam beach, 2 Ross Ewen, 3 Callum Abraham-Barlow, 4 Chris Wales, 5 Owen Roberts, 6 Chris Musgrove, 7 Ryan Marklew, 8 Ashley Lloyd, 9 Matt Bunyan, 10 Bradley Wilson, 11 James Haworth.

subs : 12 Billy Oram (on for Ewen 55 mins), 14 Jack Selby (on for Marklew 65 mins), 15 Michael Philip-Ogbuogu (on for Abraham-Barlow 55 mins)