Fleet Town 0 Melksham Town 3

After a competitive first half, where Fleet had the best chances, they slumped to their seventh successive defeat after the break, leaving them still six points adrift with only three games left.

Fleet forced their first corner after only six minutes, played deep to the far post onto the head of Kofi Halliday, his effort only finding the hands of the visiting keeper Sam Thomson for an easy catch. Although Melksham soon had two corners of their own, they were overhit and ran harmlessly behind. Running through Luke Ballinger took a snap shot for the visitors from twenty-five yards which flew over the bar. As Fleet pressed forward again, Sam Thomson came out of his goal to try to collect the ball but lost out to Enow Ojong, who quickly turned to fire at the unprotected goal, but the ball ran wide. Melksham were given a free kick right on the edge of the box, but after positioning his wall, James Stroud was in the right place to produce a spectacular diving push round the post. Fleet continued to dominate possession in midfield but despite all the hard work of Callum Abraham-Barlow getting the space to play in several dangerous crosses, the ball did not run for Fleet and in particular for Kofi Halliday in front of goal. A quick break upfield from Melksham gave Warren Maidment an opening to shoot from distance, but his effort curled wide. As Fleet pressed to get something from the first half, the final chance saw a cross from Enow Ojong fall to Jack Selby, who could not keep his shot down and it just cleared the bar.

The first attack of the second half produced the first goal as a run down the left from Gary Higdon for the visitors, his low cross into the path of Jordan Croad and a simple tap in saw Melksham take the lead. Fleet kept pushing forward looking for an equaliser, Angus Youngson got a shot in which flew over the bar, then a good team move culminated in Billy Oram finding Jack Selby who got the ball to Matthew Pearse to shoot, but also his effort also went over the bar. When Fleet were finally given a free kick in a dangerous position, Kofi Halliday quickly put the ball down and played it to Billy Oram, who shot as Melksham were still getting set, but yet again the shot cleared the bar. Fleet soon had another free kick around the box, the dummy run from Kofi Halliday left the ball for Jack Selby to play the ball short to Billy Oram, his effort being blocked by keeper Sam Thomson for another corner to Fleet. Into the last quarter of an hour and Melksham extended their advantage when a cross was met by a glancing header from Dan King to take the ball past James Stroud into the net and a few minutes later, a mazy run down the left by Jordan Croad opened up Fleet for him to find Luke Ballinger to score the third and kill the game off., with seven minutes left. in the final minutes, Fleet did get the ball in the net only to be pulled back for an offside flag against Kofi Halliday, as he netted.

The easi-leaflets Man of the Match, was awarded to Kofi Halliday for all his efforts up front.







Next Up for Fleet Town is the Semi-Final of the Aldershot Senior Cup on Tuesday 16th April, away at Knaphill, before the busy Easter programme away to Bristol Manor Farm on Saturday 20th and the last home game of the season on Easter Monday when Moneyfields are the visitors to Calthorpe Park.

Fleet Town : 1 James Stroud, 2 Ross Ewen, 3 Callum Abraham-Barlow, 4 Angus Youngson, 5 Sam Williams, 6 Cavan Atkinson, 7 Matthew Pearse, 8 Kieran Ngale-Kelly, 9 Enow Ojong, 10 Jack Selby, 11 Kofi Halliday.

subs : 12 Edwin Plackett (on for Ngale-Kelly 73 mins), 16 Daniel Framp (on for Ojong 58 mins), 17 Billy Oram (on for Youngson 54 mins). not used 14 Lewis Plackett, 15 Layton Avenell.