Fleet Town 1 Cambridge City 2

Fleet Town welcomed play off contenders Cambridge City to the Franki Foundations Stadium on a damp January afternoon for this Evo-Stik League South, East Division fixture. The opening minutes belonged to the visitors, an early cross from Salim Relizani found the head of Ryan Sharman at the far post, but he nodded the ball wide of the post. Then it was Ben Robinson to cut back a cross ball to Nathan Olukanmi, but after making the space to shoot, he fired wide. After ten minutes Fleet settled into the game and started to threaten, especially through James Haworth playing in a more advanced position today. A long ball played through the left channel for James Haworth to run on to, the Cambridge keeper realising that James would beat his defenders to the ball rushed out and just beat James to the ball but could only scoop the ball up, which fell to Matt Bunyan, who seeing the still empty net inviting, lobbed the ball towards the net, but somehow Jordan Williams made the ground to head the ball to safety from under the bar. Minutes later an even better chance for Fleet, when Bunyan, Haworth and Greame Purdy combined but denied by a fine stop from keeper Charlie Bannister. Matt Bunyan then opened up the visitors again, only being denied by the dive of Bannister palming the ball round the post. This was followed by a fine Fleet move,  with the cross being flicked goalward, beating the keeper but not the post, the ball struck the inside of the post and rebounded back into play and was cleared.

The second half, again, saw Cambridge start the quicker and within five minutes a cross from Nathan Olukanmi found its was to James Hall who turned the ball into the net and get the visitors in front. The visitors had their central defence to thank for keeping them in front as they managed the threat from Bunyan and Purdy, but this was giving Bradley Wilson more space out wide to run down the wings and threaten, but Cambridge often having a body in place to meet the cross, going for goal himself, Bradley Wilson was through and only denied by the legs of the keeper. But after 79 minutes it was a break from the visitors, when Ryan Sharman got his head to a fine cross and scored to double the visitors lead, looked to have settled the game to secure the points. But Fleet did not lay down and kept trying but left it very late to give their fans hope, when man of the match Matt Bunyan struck after 89 minutes to get Fleet’s first goal of 2018 and make the score 1-2, the four minutes of added time passed all to quickly, without Fleet getting the chance to peg Cambridge back, leaving Fleet to rue the bad luck in front of goal in the first half.


Fleet Town : 1 Liam Beach, 2 Dquame Copeland, 3 Chris Dean, 4 LIam Flanighan, 5 Chris Musgrove, 6 Ashley Lloyd, 7 Chris Wales, 8 Matt Bunyan, 9 Greame Purdy, 10 James Haworth, 11 Bradley Wilson.

subs : 14 Ryan Marklew (on for Lloyd 84 mins), 15 Alan Musoke (on for Purdy 75 mins), 16 Danilo Cadete (on for Wilson 73 mins)

not used 12 Billy Oram, 17 George Pilbeam