Fleet Town 2 Hamble Club 0

Fleet Town finally found a way to get past a stubbon and solid Hamble Club side, to progress to the third round of the Hampshire Senior Cup. The first half saw ex-Blue, Harry Davies, at left back for Hamble, the busiest player on the pitch, with most of Fleet’s best attacks coming down the right, but finding Harry davies there to clear the chances. Eventually it was Danilo Cadete’s persistance, saw him get in behind Hamble and play in crosses, one met by Billy Oram, the other finding Meshach Williams, but the Fleet lads were unable to convert these openings. Hamble were able to breakout but only managed a couple of strikes from distance, which passed wide of the target. Danilo soon had another chance to test the visitors defence, but his cross harmlessly drifted over the bar. Fleet were playing the ball around confidently and bringing Riccardo Andrady more into the game down the left. Another probe down the left got the ball to Connor Channon, his cross picked out Imran Uche, he shot but it was saved by Sam Webb. Hamble kept probing forward and when they got in close, Fleet failed to clear the danger at the first chance and Hamble had their best chances but found Brendan Norris on top form and he made two wonder saves to keep the ball out and his goal intact. A long clearance from Brendan ran on to Meshach Wiliams, he got a shot away, but saw it saved by Sam Webb. An even first half finished goaless with both sides thinking the game could be there for the taking.

For the start of the second half Hamble made a surprise change in withdrawing Harry Davies and almost immediately Fleet got a cross in from where he would have been expected to be, the cross was met by the head of Meshach Williams who got too much on it to send it over on to the top of the net. After a quieter twenty minutes, it was Hamble that came very closse when a Tom Sykes free kick was just touched to deflect the ball round the post for a corner. Another chance fell to Hamble from this corner but again Brendan Norris was in place, as he got down to save at the foot of the post. After 70 minutes a fast flowing move saw Fleet open Hamble up as Danilo Cadete who ran down the left played the ball onto Meshach Williams, who cut in and then played the ball to Riccardo Andrady on the right of the box, who struck the ball sweetly into the back of the net, to get the home side in front. Hamble kept pushing forward looking for an equaliser and the hope of a Penalty lottery, they came close, very close but two headers passed inches outside the posts. Inside the final ten minutes, Fleet made their third change and introduced Enow Ojong, within two minutes Ronan was pivotal in the move that created Fleet’s second goal, it started at the back when Matthew Deadfield cleared to Enow Ojong, he took the ball on and crossed to Meshach Williams, who scored his second goal in his first two games for Fleet Town. Hamble had a couple of chances in the final moments for a consolation but Brendan Norris stood firm and made sure he kept a clean sheet. Fleet Town now await the draw for the next round and possibly a plum tie against a football league side, with AFC Bournemouth, Southampton and Portsmouth all entering this season.


Fleet Town : 1 Brendan Norris, 2 Daniel Framp, 3 Danny Barham, 4 Imran Uche, 5 Stuart Derry, 6 Armani Bonsu, 7 Danilo Cadete, 8 Connor Channon, 9 Meshach Williams, 10 Billy Oram, 11 Riccardo Andrady.

subs : 12 Matthew Deadfield (on for Barham 60 mins), 14 Enow Ojong (on for Andrady 82 mins), 16 Ronan Silva (on for Channon 60 mins)

not used 13 Sam Waters, 15 Abdul Rajab.


The Man of the Match award was given to Brendan Norris, his first half double saves being instrumental in setting up the win.