Fleet Town 2 Redhill 3

Fleet went into this game against top six side Redhill full of confidence from recent results and looking to improve on the 3-2 defeat in the recent match at Redhill. Fleet were looking good in the early play and were awarded a free kick after 8 minutes, Billy Oram delivered the ball into the box and Tom Wensley rose to head the ball in to give Fleet the early lead. It was not long before Redhill created an excellent chance, a ball lifted over the defence into the path of Lucas Atkins, but he could only shoot straight at Neil Sanneh in the Fleet goal who blocked this effort. Fleet had a chance to extend their lead when Mack Vary was played in, with the whole goal to shoot at he steered his effort just wide of the post, but he made up for this miss on 33 minutes when Billy Oram flicked the ball on to him and he lifted the ball over Jack Minchin to put Fleet 2-0 ahead. Almost immediately Fleet were on the attack again with the ball deflected for a corner, Fleet tried a short corner move but lost the ball and Redhill broke up field, with so many of the Fleet side up waiting for the corner, there was no cover only two passes were needed for the ball to reach Jason Kaate at the other end and he made no mistake to get a goal back for Redhill on 36 minutes. Only three minutes later Fleet lost the ball at the back and it was Jason Kaate again to benefit as he scored the equaliser to make it 2-2 on 39 minutes. Fleet got through the last minutes of the half without presenting Redhill any more chances and went into the break level at two a piece.

With so much action in the first half, the second would have to be special to match it. With Fleet looking for ways to open up Redhill while they were down to ten with a player in the sin bin and restore the advantage they had early in the first half, but soon Redhill won the ball in midfield, a pinpoint pass forward to Jamarie Brissett, who took the ball from halfway all the way into the box where he rounded Neil Sanneh to slide the ball into the empty net from a narrow angle and put Redhill 3-2 ahead after 48 minutes. The second half passed quickly with Redhill having more of the ball but not creating dangerous chances, but it Fleet that came closest to adding to the afternoon goals, on 87 minutes, when sub Matty Pearce had his shot blocked by the Redhill keeper and the loose ball ran straight back to Matty to try again,  this time he was able to lift the ball past the keeper but it drifted wide of the post, as the game was going into added time a quick break from Fleet and the ball was played into the box but Tom Wensley only managed to send the ball over the bar. The game finished with another narrow victory to Redhill, which maintains the status quo at the top of the table with all the top six winning their games.

Fleet Town : 1 Neil Sanneh, 2 Luke Larner, 3 Shemar Pettet, 4 Emeka Nwaubani, 5 Durell Brown, 6 Tom Wensley, 7 Rown Sharrett, 8 Ben Maunders, 9 Mack Vary, 10 Billy Oram, 11 Kamdon Simmons.

Subs : 12 Ellis Mclean (on for Maunders 61 mins), 13 Roux Hardcastle, 14 Matty Pearce (on for Simmons 67 mins), 15 Khalid Babikir, 16 Ryan Esprit (on for Pettet 87 mins)

Next up for Fleet is a third trip this season to the Spectrum to play Guildford City, this time in the Southern Combination Cup Quarter Final on Wednesday 16th March, kick off 7.30pm..