Fleet Town 3 Frimley Green 3

Frimley Green set out their determination and ambition for the game before the start, naming three ex Fleet Town players in their starting line-up (Layton Avenell, Ross Ewen and Jordan Carter). After only 7 minutes, Frimley Green took the lead when a hopeful long ball was played into the middle of the almost empty box from the left wing, as Jamie Hoppitt ran in Neil Sanneh advanced from his goal to collect the ball but Hoppitt got there first and headed the ball over Sanneh into the empty net. Frimley Green almost doubled their lead minutes later when they played a free kick into the six yard box, a Frimley head got there first but Fleet were able to clear the ball off the line, the ball ran loose to a Frimley player who shot over the bar. Fleet had a narrow escape when Sanneh came to collect a cross and the Frimley player stuck out his leg and reached the ball first to hit it past Sanneh into the goal, only for their celebrations to be cut short as the referee decided it was dangerous play and give Fleet the free kick. Fleet were creating a few chances but not getting any run of the ball in and around the goal, but after 35 minutes the visitors did double their advantage when the ball fell to Hoppitt again in the box, he hit a fierce shot which went under the keeper into the goal and it could have been worse for Fleet before the break, it needed a fine save from Sanneh, diving at full stretch he got his fingertips to the ball to push it round the post for a corner.

After what must have been an interesting discussion in the changing room, Fleet lined up three substitutes Ellis Mclean, Elliott Amadieu and Ryan Esprit to come on for second half, hoping for an improvement and a way back into the game, but any hope seemed to have been immediately quashed when only three minutes into the half Jordan Carter found the net for the visitors to put them 3-0 up. Before long the first glimmer for the home fans when Dan Bone had an opening but could not keep the ball down and saw his effort clear the bar. Dan was soon in the middle of the action again, it looked to everyone that he was pushed in back and went down as he ran into the box but the referee waved away the penalty appeals until he saw his assistant standing with his flag raised, after a long discussion between those two men in black Fleet were only awarded a corner. Thinking that Fleet’s luck was totally out for the night the visitors made their first change taking off danger man Hoppitt. This seemed to revitalise Fleet and they attacked with purpose and won a free kick inside the D, taking a long time to set up a wall, which would have blocked the ball if they had stayed in place but as the kick was taken the wall split with two players going left and two right the ball flew through the gap, keeper Ferguson flung himself across and got to the ball but was not in a position to hold it and the ball reached Tom Wensley to stab home on 64 minutes and give Fleet at least some consolation, with the small hope of more. Fleet supporters were getting behind their side as suddenly every attack looked dangerous, first Billy Oram let fly from outside of the box, the ball flashed across the face of the goal and struck the base of the post but then ran safe and cleared, next was Dan Bone from a free kick, this time Frimley’s wall stayed in place but Dan got the ball round the outside of the wall but only to see the ball strike the unguarded post. The minutes slipped past and with expectations of a comeback starting to fade, Frimley Green made another change, taking off the other goal scorer Jordan Crater to consolidate the side and hold on to what they had. After 84 minutes Fleet were given a free kick out on the right, not far inside the attacking half, Billy Oram hit the monster free kick deep into the box, although the keeper reached the ball first he did not hang on and it was not cleared, Mack Vary reacted quickest and scored from close range to make it 2-3. The 90 minute mark passed and the officials advised 5 minutes added time to play, by now it was almost all Fleet as they pushed forward again and again, looking, hoping for a clear chance, after 92 minutes another free kick chance, the ball played in close to keeper Ferguson, he gets to the ball but drops it and stands there just looking at it as two Fleet players close in and Elliott Amadieu is first to the ball and tucks it away to level the scores and set of wild celebrations behind the goal. Neither side could muster a late opening and the game finished in a 3-3 draw, with both sides thinking it was two points dropped rather than one won.

Fleet Town : 1 Neil Sanneh, 2 Emeka Nwaubani, 3 James Dinsdale, 4 Khalid Babikir, 5 Shemar Pettet, 6 Tom Wensley, 7 Rowan Sharratt, 8 Ben Maunders, 9 Dan Bone, 10 Billy Oram, 11 Matty Pearce.

Subs 12 Ellis Mclean (on for Nwaubani half time), 14 Mack Vary (on for Maunders 77 mins), 15 Elliott Amadieu (on for Sharratt half time), 16 Ryan Esprit (on for Pearce half time), 17 Kieran Ngale-Kelly