Fleet Town 3 Guildford City 2

At the 6th time of asking, Fleet Town finally won a league game against Guildford City, having previously only managed a draw in their first meeting back in 2012 and four defeats since.

Guildford had the best of the early chances with Billy Connor making runs down the right wing but his crosses into the box were safely gathered by Lee Allen. As the half progressed Fleet took control and had a string of dangerous attacks, Shemar Pettet had a shot deflected onto the bar and out for a corner, James Beauchamp ran into the box to shoot only to see the Guildford keeper get a touch on the ball to push it past the post for another corner, Tom Wensley also had his chance after running into the box and firing the ball goalward, again Fleet were denied by the keeper, this time pushing the ball wide for yet another corner. As the first half was nearing completion Billy Oram’s cross found James Beauchamp in space, he controlled the ball and calmly rounded the keeper to slot the ball home to put Fleet ahead. As soon as Guildford kicked off to restart play, the Referee blew for half time, sending the teams to the changing rooms with Fleet holding a narrow 1-0 lead.

Early in the second half, Fleet found themselves on the backfoot as Stuart Derry was sent into the sin bin for ten minutes, during this time Guildford dominated the ball and piled on the pressure pinning Fleet back around their own box and after 55 minutes, Billy Connor fired the ball in for an equaliser. But as soon as Fleet were back to full strength they were able to regain control of the game, on 66 minutes Beauchamp ran for a ball played over the top, with him, a Guildford defender and keeper all closing in on the ball, James reached it first to send the ball goalward leaving the keeper stranded and despite a vain attempt by the defender to reach the ball he was not fast enough to get there and stop the ball rolling into the goal to restore Fleet’s lead. Even Guildford’s triple substitution on 76 mins did not alter the way the game was going. James came close to completing his hat-trick his shot beat the keeper but Guildford sub Isy Nzelo was fast enough to clear the ball off the line. Fleet increased their advantage on 81 minutes when Tom Wensley converted a corner through a crowded six yard box. James Beauchamp had another chance to score again, beating Guildford’s offside trap he ran through between two defenders only for the keeper to outstretch a leg and block his shot, collect the ball and clear the danger. With time running out Guildford continued to press for a way back into the game and Harrison Livingstone scored on 88 minutes to give them some hope, but Fleet were able to see out all the added time to complete a fine 3-2 win to the delight of all the home supporters.

Fleet Town : 1 Lee Allen, 2 Ellis McLean, 3 Tom Wensley, 4 Durell Brown, 5 Stu Derry, 6 Brad Passfield, 7 Rowan Sharratt, 8 Kieran Ngale-Kelly, 9 James Beauchamp, 10 Billy Oram, 11 Shemar Pettet.

Subs 12 Alfie Neville, 14 Ben Maunders (on for 7 – 93 mins), 15 Khalid Babikir (on for 11 – 80 mins), 16 Matty Pearce (on for 8 – 80 mins), 17 Fareed Hakem-Habeeb (on for 9 – 93 mins)