Fleet Town 3 Petersfield Town 1

Fleet Town started this season’s Emirates FA Cup campaign against Wessex League side Petersfield Town and soon the gap in status between the sides started to show. Fleet were pushing the visitors back and it was not long before Petersfield were forced to give Fleet a corner to stop the run of Joe Wilson, from the corner Fleet had two chances before the ball ran away for a goal kick to the visitors. Petersfield showed they could be dangerous on the break, forcing a corner of their own after eight minutes which culminated in a shot that brought Fleet keeper Brendan Norris into the action, making a safe catch and set Fleet back up on the attack. Abdul Rajab brought the ball up from midfield and played the ball wide right on to Billy Oram, he ran round the defence to fire a cross in, the visitors keeper made the decision to come and claim the low ball diving onto it on the six yard line. He then cleared the ball but within seconds the ball was with Ronan Silva and he buried the ball into the roof of the net to put Fleet ahead. Only seven minutes later, Fleet had doubled their lead when Abdul Rajab collected the ball in midfield, advanced before his pinpoint ball to Billy Oram just outside the box, Billy ran infield towards the D before firing the ball past Jackson low into the net, to make the score 2-0. The game quietened into a period of midfield action, keeping Norris and Jackson busy but without threatening the goals, until the last minute of the first half, when after a slow and patient build up from Fleet, Abdul Rajab had his chance for glory, his fierce shot being kept out by a full length from Jackson and his outstreatched arms getting the touch to turn the ball round the post for another corner.

Petersfield made a change at the break bringing on Ben Neal for Ryan Gill, looking stronger at the back, Petersfield were able to create more as they looked for a way back into the game, but the crosses were no problem for Fleet keeper Norris, who looked very solid to catch all the balls near him. After 58 minutes Fleet were awarded a Penalty following a coming together in the box, Abdul Rajab stepped up and stroked the ball past Jackson into the net, for goal number three. Despite the scoreline, Petersfield kept trying and looking for something from the game, which came after 72 minutes, from a corner there was a scramble and Fleet could not clear the ball and Ryan Kennedy touched the ball in from two yards, although the visitors thought this could be the start of the comeback and they had the better chances, in the end it was only a consolation. The closest of the late chances fell to Will Essai his shot from 30 yards hit the bar, dropped down to go off Norris for a corner. Despite losing Captain, Stuart Derry to a shoulder knock ten minutes from the end, Fleet kept their heads high and safely saw out the game for the 3-1 win and a place in the next round, which the FA will release on Tuesday afternoon.

After the match, Paul of the match sponsors Easi-leaflets made the choice of Man of the Match and this weeks bottle was presented to Billy Oram.

In the evening players and management carried on the celebration at one of the clubs sponsors Gulshan Indian Restaurant (shown with owner Ravi Chowdhury)


Next up is the short trip to Thatcham on Monday afternoon.

Fleet Town : 1 Brendan Norris, 2 Thomas Peel, 3 Daniel Framp, 4 Kailian North, 5 Stuart Derry, 6 Imran Uche, 7 Joe Wilson, 8 Ronan Silva, 9 Billy Oram, 10 Connor Channon, 11 Abdul Rajab.

subs : 12 Callum Cleary (on for Derry 80 mins), 16 Matthew Deadfield (on for Framp 76 mins), 17 Junior Smith (on for North 67 mins)

not used – 14 Simon Mulumba, 15 Ryan Davis, 18 Layton Avenell.