Yate Town 4 Fleet Town 1

Yate Town continued their unbeaten start to the League programme, with this win which lifted them to the top of the table. Despite the difference in their league places, for the first twenty minutes of the game, it was Fleet Town that dominated possession and chances. In only the second minute, Imran Uche collected the ball in midfield, he spun his marker to make space to play the ball out to Abdul Rajab on the right, his cross was met by Meshach Williams, who headed wide. A minute later, Fleet had another chance, with Abdul Rajab and Meshach Williams combining on the right, Meshach crossed and found Riccardo Andrady in space, but Riccardo shot wide. It was not long before Fleet were threatening again, this time Lamar Koroma driving through and only stopped by a foul challenge from Yate’s Mayson Evans that earnt him a Yellow Card. The free kick was over-hit but flicked behind by a Yate defender for Fleet’s first corner of the match, which was easily dealt with by the home side. Then came the best of the early chances, Riccardo Andrady played the ball into the box for Meshach Williams, his on target shot being blocked by ex Wales U19 goalkeeper, on loan from Forest Green Rovers, Lewis Thomas. After surviving a difficult twenty minutes, Yate finally got to trouble the Fleet defence, Captain Nick Peare getting forward to cross the ball into the box, but it was safely caught by Fleet’s keeper Brendan Norris. But shortly after this Nick Peare was forced to leve the action to be replaced by Takayo Nembhard, his first contribution to the game was to pick up a Yellow card for  a challenge with Brendan Norris, which also produced a Yellow Card for Fleet captain Stuart Derry in the aftermath. On 35 minutes, Yate were given a free kick out on the left, which was played deep across the box, beyond the reach of Norris, and lifted back into the middle for Elliott Keightley to nod in before Brendan Norris could recover his position. Before the break, Yate doubled their lead when thhe ball was played on to Jack Twyman, his speculative effort from the edge of the box curled into the net. Half time came with Yate 2-0 ahead and Fleet left to rue all the missed early chances and what might have been, had one or two of them found the net.

The second half could not have started better for Fleet, a short clearance from the home keeper was pounced on by Riccardo Andrady, he played in Meshach Williams who made no mistake and scored for the visitors. Like the first half, it was all Fleet in the early action, Imran Uche playing in Meshach Williams, his shot deflected for a corner. It was Imran Uche again setting up the nexxt attack, this time a long ball forward to Meshach Williams, he cut in and shot, keeper Thomas touching the ball behind for a corner, this was only half cleared by Yate and Fleet won the ball back and crossed into the box for Stuart Derry, but his shot was wide of the target. After 57 minutes a hopeful punt forward from the Yate defence was won by Adam Price, he took the ball on to the edge of the box before firing the ball past Norris. After 65 minutes Fleet introduced Danilo Cadete in to the action and immediately was causing problems for Yate as ran up and down the right wing. But it was Yate that came closest to adding the next goal when David Simms-Burgess curled a shot goalward which brought a fine save from Norris to palm the ball behind for a Yate corner. Fleet were soon back on the attack with Danilo Cadete opening the defence and making the space to play a dangerous ball across, firstly Ronan Silva shot was blocked but came to Joe Wilson who also saw his shot blocked. As Fleet attacked again, in slid Jack Twyman and out came the referee’s Red card to reduce the home side to ten men. Five minutes from the end, a quick break from Yate got David Simms-Burgess in and as he ran towards the goal, Imran Uche reached him and tackled him, he seemed to win the ball before Simms-Burgess went down, the referee giving Yate a corner, but way over on the far side the assistant stood with his flag raised, Yate persuaded the referee to go over and talk to him and when he came back he pointed to the spot giving Yate  a Penalty and showing Imran Uche a Yellow Card. David Simms-Burgess took the Penalty, he had won and made no mistake to stroke the ball home and make the score 4-1, he was then substituted, before the restart. Yate saw the game out without any further scare but knew they had been in a hard battle and flattered by the final score and many Yate supporters were very complimentary about the way Fleet had played and took the game to Yate.

Next up for Fleet, is the visit of Yate’s near neighbours Mangotsfield United to Calthorpe Park next Saturday.

Fleet Town : 1 Brendan Norris, 2 Amarni Bonsu, 3 Danny Barham, 4 Lamar Koroma, 5 Stuart Derry, 6 Jordan Stepney, 7 Abdul Rajab, 8 Imran Uche, 9 Meshach Williams, 10 Connor Channon, 11 Riccardo Andrady.

subs : 12 Joe Wilson (on for Bonsu 56 mins), 14 Danilo Cadete (on for Channon 65 mins), 16 Ronan Silva (on for Barham 73 mins)

not used 15 Matthew Deadfield.